1. Lacy Patches: Colorful and feminine, this would be pretty easy to make with thrift store lace doilies and some dye. (via Hupsistarallaa)
3. Make It A Banner Day: These triangular flags have popped up everywhere lately, but we especially love them as a simple take on valances. Put them over existing curtains or use them as a stand-alone statement. (via She’s Crafty)
9. Get Crafty With Faux Stained Glass: While we love the look of real stained glass, our budgets (and our creative sides!) prefer this clever DIY version to infuse a jolt of color into any space. Bonus benefit? Added privacy from snooping neighbors. (via A Beautiful Mess)
7. Perk Things Up With a Pompom Curtain: We love any DIYs that let us get more pom-poms in our lives. This one is adorable — we can picture it being great for a kid’s room — and the way that the fishing wire disappears from a distance is nothing short of magic. (via Noodle Head)
Finding the perfect window treatments to protect your privacy and add just the right note to your room isn’t always easy. But while curtains and blinds are both great, there’s a whole world of options out there. Here are 10 creative ideas for dressing your windows that are anything but ordinary.
8. Bring in Some Barn Door Shutters: Barn doors are all the rage now, so why not extend their uses to the windows too? This DIY option uses reclaimed wood and classic barn door track mounts for a look that we think Chip and Joanna Gaines would approve. (via All Things Thrifty)
10. Create a Layered Look: During the warmer seasons, switch your holiday wreath for one made of eucalyptus or dried flowers and hang it right on top of your windows. Believe it or not, this layered look is equally in vogue for framed artwork too. (via Lovely As A Mother)
5. Go Wild With Macrame: Make the macrame trend feel fresh again by using a custom, handmade macrame curtain —shown here as a closet door alternative — as a window treatment instead. We like the idea of making a truncated version for a valance too! (via A Beautiful Mess)
4. Stick Up Some Shelves: Break the rules and double your storage in one fell swoop by installing shelving across your windows. It’s obviously a perfect place for an herb garden, but it also makes a nice showcase spot for your most prized dishes as well. (via Boxy Colonial)
Are you inspired to throw out those old curtains? Let us know in the comments below!
2. Vertical Garden: How awesome is this curtain and vertical garden in one?! (via Brit + Co)
6. Whip Up a Fabric Valance: That fabric garland you made for your last event (or Instagram background) has another great use: A cool no-sew valance in a modern mix of hues and patterns. (Hint: Loop strips of fabric or ribbon directly over a curtain rod or tension rod for a more polished, level look.) (via Project Nursery)